Ayurveda separates shukradosha, or defects of semen into eight categories: foamy semen, deficiency of semen, rough semen, colorful semen, putrefactive semen, viscous semen, semen mixed with blood and acids, and coagulated semen. Foamy semen, deficiency of semen or little semen, and rough or dry semen are Vata disorders, concerned with the aggravated function of the nervous system. Semen with abnormal colors (such as yellow or blue), and putrefactive semen are Pitta disorders, the result of the aggravated function of the vein system. Viscous semen is a Kapha disorder, the result of an aggravated function of the artery system. Coagulated semen is Sannipataja, related to the aggravated function of all systems. Blood etc. mixed with semen is related to injury.
Defects of semen are almost always treated with the Vajikarana and Rasayana remedies for long life and good health. Combined with these remedies, after proper diagnosis, are treatments to maintain the balance of the bodily systems, i.e. the nervous system (Vata), the vein system (Pitta) and the artery system (Kapha).
- Ashwagandha root (Convolvulus arvensis, Withania somnifera)
- Bijaya leaf (hemp / Cannabis sativa)
- Guduchi stem (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Gunja seed (crab’s eye / Abrus precatorius)
- Jivaka bulb (wild garlic / Allium wallichii, small)
- Kakoli bulb (Fritillaria cirrhosa)
- Kapikacchu seeds (cowhage / Mucuna prurita)
- Kasturi (deer musk / Moschus moschiferus)
- Lasunam bulb (garlic / Allium sativum)
- Musali tuber (Curculigo orchioides)
- Pueraria tuber (vidari / Pueraria lobata)
- Risabhaka bulb (Allium wallichii , large)
- Shalaparni plant (Desmodium gangeticum)
- Shilajita Rasayana
Klaivyam or Impotence is related to defects of semen, old age and general debility. It is also caused by lesions caused by sexual misconduct such as rape or excess masturbation. Abnormal sex or sexual excesses lead to impotency for mental reasons (such as guilt) as well as by injury to the nerves related to the genital organs.
It is treated according to the signs and symptoms, taking into consideration the cause of the impotence, along with the aphrodisiac remedies (vajikarana) and general restoratives (rasayana). When treating cases of impotence, a peaceful atmosphere in the home is very important. Impotence caused by congenital atrophy or trauma is not curable.
Upadamsha or syphilis causes the eruption of lesions on the penis, and is classified into five categories, with the characters of Vataja, Pittaja, Kaphaja, Sannipataja and Raktaja. Vata Upadamsha manifests with blackish colored lesions with severe pain. Pittaja Upadamsha manifests with yellowish colored lesions and burning sensation, later developing into an oozing lesion. Syphilitic lesions with the quality of Kapha are skin coloured with swelling and itchiness. Sannipataja Upadamsha manifests with lesions that have mixed symptoms, and Raktaja Upadamsha is similar to vataja but involves bleeding.
Syphilis of all types is treated with bloodletting, specific healing plasters and laxative remedies. Blood purifying remedies are particularly important to maintain the bodily systems, as well as general restoratives (rasayanas) made with purified minerals. Syphilis with the character of Raktaja (congenital) or Sannipataja (complicated) is not curable. However, both can be treated with bloodletting practices and specific healing remedies to reduce symptoms and prevent worsening. Syphilis in the advanced stage has to be treated with surgery and with remedies based upon signs and symptoms in the affected organ(s).
Some specific remedies against syphilis are:
- Triphala (3 fruits compound), 2 grams twice daily
- Patola fruit (Trichosanthes dioica), 2 grams twice daily
- Nimba leaf (neem / Azadirachta indica), 2 grams twice daily
- Guduchi stem decoction (Tinospora cordifolia), 2 grams twice daily
- Asana wood (Terminalia tomentosa) made into an infusion for internal use. , 2 grams twice daily
- Khadira Sanabhyam is Khadira extract (catechu / Acacia catechu, white) made into a paste form, and applied topically
- An external ointment can be made by burning Triphala fruits (Phyllanthus emblica / Terminalia belerica / Terminalia chebula), then grinding with honey.
Additional headings in this chapter*
Shukradosha (Defects Of Semen)
Sarsapika (Herpes Simplex Genitalia)
Grathitam (Venereal Granuloma)
Kumbhika (Melanoma Genitalia)
Sammudhapidaka (Traumatic Boils Of The Penis)
Puskarika (Syphilis-Like Boil)
Sparshahani (Numbness Of The Penis)
Uttama (Red Pimples Of The Penis)
Shataponaka (Fistula Of The Penis)
Shonitarbuda (Angioma Of The Penis)
Mamsarbuda (Myoma Of The Penis)
Mamsapaka (Acute Penitis)
Vidradhi (Abscess Of The Penis)
Avapatika (Tear In The Prepuce)
Shukrashmari (Seminal Calculus)
Vrisanakacchu (Tinea Crusis)